Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Sunday, November 20, 2011

{ Obligatory Thanksgiving Post }

TG2
Thanksgiving is in 4 days here in the States!

Woo!

I love Thanksgiving. Not just for the food, but the warm and thankful feeling of it all.
Not to mention that it totally ushers in the panic that is Christmas.
Which, I totally love. Panic and all.
Panic has totally started to set in already. I’m not loving it… yet. Simply because I’ve accomplished next to nil so far.
Go me!
*
I won’t be posting and step by steps for you today, simply because I don’t have the photos to go along with.
However, this will be quite the recipe laden post.
And who can’t love that.
*
Let’s start with our veg.
I love vegetables, totally and fully love vegetables.
Except Peas and Carrots. You know, Green Bean’s ugly step sisters? Yeah.
There are actually carrots in this recipe though. Ya know why?
Because they don’t taste like carrots when you are finished! 
Take that, Oh Orange Ones!

Now, the fact that these are covered in processed cheese and butter might have a *wee* to do with it.
I only make this at Christmas and Thanksgiving. It’s so one of my favorite things though.

Easy. Peasy. Lemon. Squeezy.

TG3

MIXED VEGETABLE AND CHEESE CASSEROLE
 
1 (20 oz.) bag frozen vegetable medley (broccoli, carrots, onion, etc.)
1 (20 oz.) bag frozen cauliflower
8 oz. pasteurized process cheese (Velveeta) cubed
1/2 c. butter, melted

1 cylindrical package of round buttery crackers (such as Ritz or Town House), crushed
Cook frozen vegetables, according to package directions, just until tender-crisp. Drain and spread evenly in buttered casserole. Top with cheese cubes, stir together melted butter and cracker crumbs and sprinkle over cheese. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven or until bubbly. (Serves 12.)
 
Source Cooks.com (and my friend Lori who told me about it)
 
*
Next comes a recipe for Corn. Corn Casserole, Corn Pudding, whatever you wanna call it, I call it good.
 
And obviously, I cannot leave veggies in their birth form on holidays.
 
My mom makes killer green beans for holidays too, beans from the garden that my dad has grown and canned, cooked with mushrooms, onions, and water chestnuts.
 
You should be jelly of them, they are… wonderful.
 
Ok, so corn.
 
My Aunt Diana has, for years, make this recipe. SUPER easy. It really IS good.. but….
I found this recipe online last year though, and I think I like it a little better. Sorry Aunt Diana!

Here’s her recipe if you want to give it a try:

AUNT DIANA’S SCALLOPED CORN
1 can corn
1 can cream style corn
1 egg, beaten
1/2 to 1 sleeve Ritz/Town House Crackers, crushed
Butter oven proof dish. Pour corn into dish, add beaten egg, and crackers to mix, stir well. Reserving crackers to sprinkle on top. Dot with butter. Bake @ 350 for 40-50 minutes.
*
Now, for Mac & Cheese, I will point you in the general direction of Pioneer Woman.
Last time I made it, I added finely diced onion, bacon, and sour cream to it.

Yeah I did!
*
My mom makes the dressing, I never have. Last year I made this “oyster dressing” that my grandmother used to make and she dearly loves, but, sorry mom- gross.

Last year I made yeast rolls. Uhh…this year, I’m doing frozen dough Winking smile
*
Now, let’s talk desserts.

Here is the Bean’s fav

He eats it sans crust as a pudding. Really, I can’t blame him, I myself, do not eat crust.

Yes, I just heard you all gasp out there in the interwebs.

Last year I made these pies for the hubster:


Recipe is here. This year he is back to normal and wants his peach pie.

I love my mom’s pumpkin pie. I think other pies less wonderful.

But everyone probably feels that way about their pie!

Here is my mom’s recipe though. It’s an odd amount, and doesn’t quite fill 2 pie shells. It MAY fill two 9” shells, however. Her’s are all 10” deep dish.

My Mom’s Pumpkin Pie
1 1/2 cup Pumpkin (canned)
1 Cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon butter

Mix together. Pour into pie shell. Bake @ 425 until toothpick comes out clean (35-50 mins).

TG1

Oh, and yes, the first pictures DOES have a Pecan Pie in it.
Here’s the recipe for that.
*
Leftovers you say?

Well… some of othe leftover turkey usually ends up here:
Turkey and Noodles, ummmhmmm.

Here’s that recipe.
*
Now, for the placecards, this year I will be doing these

or these

Probably the pumpkins. Learn how to make both in this post.
*
To finish off the evening, I will be settling down with a nice warm drink.

Maybe this

or
this

*
I do start the day off with a super easy and delicious cheeseball.
I hope to get that posted before Thursday.


If I don’t, I want to take the time to say, thanks so much for joining me here at Sugar Bean Bakers.
I hope that you have a most wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!
Tina




Shared at:


Everyday Mom's Meals

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I so LOVE this blog!!! I always without fail find something new or entertaining in your postings!! Thanks so much for sharing your incredible talents with us!! I certainly am THANKFUL for you, my friend!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your entire family!!!

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...