Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Sunday, December 30, 2012

{ Reuben Dip }



 I know there are several different "lucky" foods for New Year's Day. Here in Ohio, however, the lucky foods are these:

Pork & sauerkraut

The tradition comes from Ohio (and surrounding areas) being historically rich in German immigrants.

Eating Sauerkraut on New Year's Eve is a long-standing tradition in Germany. It is believed that eating Sauerkraut will bring blessings and wealth for the new year. Before the meal, those seated at the table wish each other as much goodness and money as the number of shreds of cabbage in the pot of Sauerkraut.  (info from German Food Guide).

I know many people don't like sauerkraut. I, however, am not one of those.

I especially love a good Reuben Sandwich. Yum.

I was not always this way. When I was a kid, each year my mom would cook up a big pot of the foul smelling stuff on New Year's Day. Usually, she'd throw in some kiełbasa or some spare ribs.

Then, worst of all, she and my dad would... EAT IT.

Gag. 

As a kid, this was just nasty.

It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I began to appreciate the stuff.

Now, I love it. I don't eat it often, but I do really enjoy it. Like I said, especially as a Reuben Sandwich.

So, for New Year's Eve this year, I'm making up a mess of Reuben Dip.

It's easy, it's creamy, it's tasty.

Do like.

I realize this only gets me my kraut, and not my pork, as is called for in the German tradition.

I suppose I'll just have to eat some bacon for breakfast.

Oh, the tragedy!

There are many versions of Reuben Dip out there, however, this is mine.


Reuben Dip 
by Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers

1- 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened*
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 cup sauerkraut, well drained
1/2 cup sour cream*
1/4 cup thousand island dressing*
4 oz corned beef, chopped (I use the packaged corned beef, but you can get it from the deli as well)

*low fat/fat free work fine


Preheat oven to 350 F

Mix the cream cheese, sauerkraut, sour cream, dressing in a bowl. Stir until well blended. Work in the beef and cheese.

Pour into a well greased baking dish.

Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the sides are bubbly and it it hot throughout.


You can also cook this in a crock pot on low for a couple hours. I prefer the baked though. 

 Serve with cubed rye bread or on cocktail rye. You can also hollow out a round loaf, like I did here.

*Please note this dip does not reheat well, if it won't all get eaten, you may want to 1/2 the recipe



 I put a bowl in mine, but you can spoon the dip right into the bread if you wish!

The Bean, of course, does NOT like this.

Darn kids. Maybe when he's in his 20s.

With him, I highly doubt it though!

*
 So, I'm calling curtains for SBB in 2012.
Thanks for reading this year!

I hope you have a wonderful, blessed, lucky, and prosperous 2013- sauerkraut or not!

Tina

2 comments:

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...