Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Friday, March 1, 2013

{ Weasley is Our King Cakes}


(See all my Potter recipes & parties here)

*
Guess who's birthday it isssssssssss??

One of my very favorite (fictional) people's birthday!

Ron. Weasley.

I love Ron. He's the long suffering youngest son in a family of seven, six of them sons. He's hilarious, he's sweet, he can be a jerk. He can be a brat.

I love that about him. I love that J.K. Rowling wrote such flawed characters. It made them so much more three dimensional than most book, or heck, tv/movie characters. 

In other words, it feels like Ron is my for real friend.

I love to make items for my 'friends'.

I've made things for Hermione, Snape, Fred & George, and I made something for Ron last year.

Then of course, there's Harry. I didn't really MAKE him anything. Instead, I threw him an EPIC birthday party.

Oh, and I like to make Harry Potter things for my flesh and blood friends too. Like this Hogwarts Letter Cookie I made for my friend Darla.

I'm not sure why Ron is one of my favorite characters. Like I said, he's just so real. Maybe that is the whole reason. Of course, he's an adorable ginger too. That doesn't hurt.

When Deathly Hallows came out (the book), a town about an hour away threw this amazing festival. Actually, they did it for Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince too. We didn't know about it when OotP came out, but we were there for the HBP party as well. It was amazing. They shut down an entire city block, there were skits, scavenger/Death Eater hunts, owls, lizards, wizard food, and the wizard rock band The Whomping Willows. Not to mention thousands of Potter geeks. It's truly one of those memories that we will treasure forever. Amazing.

The Bean, being a little ginger himself, decided he wanted to go as Ron. Easy enough, right?

No.

It's never that easy. He wanted to be Quidditch Ron. Well, out there in costume land, there is ONLY Quidditch Harry. Enter my super talented mother-in-law. At the time, Quidditch Ron had never been in a movie, so we didn't know what number to make him. I decided to go with 6, since he was the 6th Weasley. When the movie came out, he was actually number 2, but ironically, Ginny was 6. So, I at least I picked a Weasley, eh?

So, here's my little cutie, then 10 years old. I totally made him wear it for Trick or Treat too, it wasn't cheap or easy to make!


 Strangers stopped him at the festival and asked to take photos. It was so much fun and he felt like a rock star.

So, if you haven't figured it out yet. I love Ron Weasley.

Since it's his birthday, I decided to make him a cake. Well, cupcakes. I totally wanted to do a play on a King Cake for Weasley is Our King.

(If you want to know the  history behind Weasely is Our King, read here. )

And so, I did.

This is not a pastry, like the regular King Cake, this just has some of the flavors of a King Cake. It just pays homage to it, it's not meant to duplicate it.



These start out with a yellow cake mix. I only made 12 with the little Duncan Hines "cupcake mix" boxes. If you want to do a full 24, just double the recipe.

This has a brown sugar/butter bit that you will swirl in.

What you'll end up with is this


Here's how you do that.

Fill your cups. Now, here I did 2 swirls, one in the middle and one at the top.

I recommend only doing the top.

The middle swirl sank and made the cake pull apart at the bottom.

(if you want dual swirls, I recommend using this cake as your base. As you can see, the batter is much thicker. Use just the cake recipe, and follow my swirl/icing directions.)

At any rate, spoon a bit on.


Then swirl with a toothpick. 


I topped these cupcakes with a Cinnamon Buttercream, King Cake style sprinkles (in Gryffindor colors, of course)  and tiny fondant crowns.

To make the crowns, you need a bit of yellow fondant.

Roll it out to about 1/8" thick. Then cut it so the edges are squared off.


I used this Pampered Chef ruffle cutter to make the points on the crown.


I added a little edible glitter to this, but Disco Dust or Luster Dust would have been much better.
Sadly, I had neither.


Then I added silver dragees & rolled them around to make the crown. I sealed the edges together with a bit of water, then allowed them to sit out a dry a bit so they were firmer.

I sat them on the side of the cupcakes to look a little jaunty.


Cute, right?




So, there ya go. Cute little Weasley is Our King Cupcakes.

Happy Birthday, Won Won!

I hope you have a wonderful 33rd birthday!

This graphic was not made by me. I'm not sure who the author is, but I found it on the Facebook Fan Page:
We Owe JKR Our Childhood.


Ever your fan,
Tina

O.S.,

(That's Owl Script. You know, like Post Script for Owl Post.)

Guess who else is making Ron a special treat today??? You'll never guess!

Darla!

Wait, you guessed? How'd ya know?

Check out what she's made for him here!



If you haven’t already,  you can ‘like’ my Facebook page here, and follow me on twitter here, and you can follow me on instagram here.



*
*


Weasley is Our King Cupcakes
Recipe by Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers

Preheat oven to 350.

Cake
Yellow Cupcake Mix 
(makes 12- double the following ingredients if you are making 24)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest


Prepare cake mix according to package.
Beat in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and lemon zest.
 Scoop batter into a prepared pan, lined with cupcake papers.


Filling
2 Tablespoons melted butter
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla into the butter. Whisk until fully combined.
 Place a teaspoon of the mix onto the  top of the cupcake batter. Swirl with a toothpick.

Icing
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
milk or heavy cream

Beat the butter for a few minutes, until fluffy. Add the sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix until well combined. If too thick, add milk/cream 1 Tablespoon at a time until you come to a good consistency.

Swirl on to the top of cupcakes.

Sprinkle with red, yellow, and white sugar.

Top with fondant crowns.


2 comments:

  1. Cute cupcakes!

    That is a marvelous costume your mom-in-law made, too. He looks great!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these! the little crowns are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...