Search Sugar Bean Bakers

Thursday, April 9, 2015

{ Reese's Cake }



Today is my Bean's 18th birthday. As ridiculous as that sounds, it is, in fact, true.

Last week I was reading the book Hyperbole and a Half  (so funny. SO. FUNNY. Also, a little sad, but mostly FUNNY. You should totally read it.) by Allie Brosh from the blog of the same name. One of the chapters was called God of Cake, and it seemed only fitting to talk about today.

You see, Bean loves cake.

Here is a peek at God of Cake:

drawings property of Hyperbole and a Half

God of Cake is actually a post she has online too. For the love of all that is good and holy GO READ IT NOW. DO IT. I'll wait here.

Ok, now that you are back, let me share this.


Instead of being his grandpa's cake, like in Allie's story, it was his dad's. Instead of being 4 like Allie, he was 3.

I caught him in his playroom with the entire cake, fork in hand. Yeah, that happened.

See the chocolate up on his forehead? #Cakeprobs. Major ones.

Since he's making a silly smooshy face, I have to show you a couple more adorable photos from the same age, then I'll get to the Reese's Cake at hand.


I mean, look at that. LOOK AT THAT FACE. Could I stay mad? Definitely not.


The boy loves cake, big time. He also loves Reese's. All things Reese's.


This cake involves most all things Reese's!

This is a 3 tier (6") chocolate cake. Between the layers is not only peanut butter buttercream, but a hardy sprinkling of Reese's Pieces. The outside is coated in more peanut butter buttercream, a deep chocolate glaze, and topped with Reese's Pieces and chopped up Reese's Cups.

I made the 18 out of one Reese's Stick & two Reese's Cups with the centers cut out which I put together with a bit of melted chocolate. It wasn't super neat and I fussed over it a lot, but didn't have time to fix it, so- there it is.


We celebrated his birthday with family on Easter. This cake was wildly popular!

Stay tuned, I'll be posting his birthday party (which takes place Saturday) sometime in the next week or so.

For now, I'll leave you with this, my adult child.

Quit it. No really, stop it now. Sigh.



Sigh.

Tina


Happy Birthday, Bean. You'll always be my baby. Momma loves ya ten thousand tons.

<3





Reese's Cake
by Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers

For the cake, I used this recipe:

Chocolate Cupcakes

I used the above recipe from Bakingdom
I used three 6" pans, but you can also use two 8" pans instead.


Peanut Butter Buttercream

2 sticks (1 cup) butter (softened, but still cold, not room temp)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 Cup to 3/4 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
pinch of salt
milk

Whip the softened butter in the mixer until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, salt. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach a nice consistency. I normally use about 4. Beat until smooth. Start by adding 1/2 cup peanut butter- add more to taste. 

Chocolate Glaze

4 Tablespoons of Butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 Tablespoons HOT water

Melt the butter
Whisk in the cocoa, sugar and vanilla.
Add 2 tablespoons water. If it’s not enough, add the 3rd.
This should be runny, but thick enough to fully coat your spoon.


To Assemble:

Spread peanut butter buttercream between layers, sprinkle with Reese's Pieces

Frost outside of cake with peanut butter buttercream. After this, I place my cake in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.

Make chocolate glaze. After cake is chilled, glaze over cake. Top with chopped Reese's Cups and Reese's Pieces. Garnish with Reese's Pieces. Return to refrigerator.

Allow to sit out at least 30 minutes prior to serving.


Cake decor inspired by Make Bake Celebrate.




2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Bean! (From a perennial lurker.) Fab recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake is completely amazing. I don't think I'll be able to handle it when my daughter turns 18. My hat's off to you.

    ReplyDelete

www.sugarbeanbakers.com

...because life should be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...